The Uganda Police Force has dismissed allegations of extortion and unlawful property seizure at Kajjansi Police Station, following a widely circulated social media post by journalist Andrew Kyamagero that accused officers of bypassing due process in a rape investigation.
In a strongly worded post on X (formerly Twitter) on Sunday, Kyamagero claimed that a man accused of rape had his vehicle, laptops, and other personal property confiscated from his home in his absence before any medical confirmation of the allegations. He described the incident as “a raid rather than an arrest” and alleged it was part of a “well-oiled pattern of extortion” at Kajjansi Police Station.
“The law is clear: until a medical examination establishes evidence, a rape allegation remains an allegation. To bypass this process and move directly into asset seizure reeks not of justice but of extortion,” Kyamagero wrote.
Latest
Three Women Badly Injured in Sauna Explosion In Munyonyo
“Rebecca, You Don’t Own Busoga” — Museveni Clashes With Kadaga in Heated NRM Meeting
Over 200 Pick Presidential Nomination Forms By End Of Week Two
Kenya’s CHAN Debut Ends in Penalty Heartbreak as Madagascar Advance to Semi-Finals
Museveni, Kigongo Solely Endorsed as NRM Prepares for 2026 Elections
Nine Arrested in Kampala Police Crackdown on “Jam Theft”
Police Kill Suspected Robber in Kiwatule Attack
Seven Scout Leaders Charged Over Violent Takeover of Kaazi Scouts Land
Kadaga Defends Record, Dismisses Disqualification Rumors
CAF Explains Why Namboole Stadium Had Empty Seats Despite ‘Sold Out’ Tickets
He added that neighbors had filmed the police action and warned that the clips would soon surface, potentially exposing misconduct.
Addressing the matter during the weekly security briefing at Police Headquarters in Naguru on Monday, ASP Luke Owoyesigyire, the Deputy Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson, confirmed that police were investigating a rape case registered under CRB 621/2025 at Kajjansi Police Station.
He clarified that the case was reported by a 22-year-old hairdresser from Zana, Makindye Ssabagabo, who alleged she had been raped by Ngobi Simon and another man known only as “Chairman” on the night of August 23, 2025.
According to Owoyesigyire, the victim said she met Ngobi in July at Akati Ngluwa and maintained contact with him. On the 23rd, she agreed to meet him again but claimed that after being given an alcoholic drink, she was driven to Kannan Estate, Kajjansi, where she was allegedly assaulted by Ngobi and his accomplice.
Police investigators, responding after the report, recovered several exhibits from the alleged crime scene, including beddings and HIV testing kits. The victim was examined on a PF3A medical form and enrolled for specialized post-rape care.
Owoyesigyire also confirmed that a silver-grey Subaru, registration UBP 276F, allegedly used to transport the victim, was impounded and is currently parked at Kajjansi Police Station as part of the investigation.
Responding to Kyamagero’s claims of extortion and illegal seizure of property, Owoyesigyire stressed that the recovery of the car and other exhibits was done in line with established procedures in sexual offence cases.
“There was no unlawful raid or extortion conducted,” he said. “The suspects were not at the premises at the time, and the recovery of property was carried out as part of the investigative process to preserve exhibits.”
However, he added that the police leadership would not hesitate to act against any officer implicated in misconduct.
“We take note of the concerns raised on social media. If there are indeed videos showing extortion, let them be brought forward. We promise that the officers will be subjected to investigation and disciplinary action,” Owoyesigyire stated.
The two prime suspects, Ngobi Simon and the man known as Chairman, remain on the run. Owoyesigyire urged them to present themselves to police and record statements to ensure their side of the story is heard.
He reiterated police’s dual commitment, To protect the rights of the victim of sexual violence, and to uphold the rights of suspects to due process and a fair investigation.
“We condemn all acts of sexual violence in the strongest terms,” Owoyesigyire emphasized. “At the same time, we reaffirm our commitment to professionalism, accountability, and respect for the rights of all parties.”