Former Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) member Moses Byamugisha, who has declared his intention to contest in the 2026 presidential elections, has become the first aspirant to return nomination forms to the Electoral Commission (EC).
Byamugisha, who picked the forms six months ago, announced on Wednesday that he had collected the 10,000 signatures required from at least 100 districts across the country to support his bid for the presidency.
Latest
Court Expands Equality in Marriage Separation, But Keeps Divorce Fault-Based
Man Arrested Over Fake Hypertension Drug Advertised With AI Video
Lukwago Petitions IGG, Parliament Over Hamis Kiggundu’s Nakivubo Channel Works
Several Arrested Over Sale of Fake CHAN 2024 Tickets
August Sports Frenzy: The Dark Side of Passion, Betting and Mental Health
NUP Mourns Supporter Who Contracted HIV/AIDS After Alleged Sexual Assault in Detention
Repeat Offender Arrested for Selling Counterfeit Agricultural Inputs Worth Shs50 Million
MoICT & JICA Launch Third Batch of UJ-Connect Acceleration Program
Bushenyi Stadium to Be Renamed in Honour of Late Minister Mary Karooro Okurut
Alan Kasujja Bids Farewell to BBC After 13 Years of Amplifying African Voices
Three Children Perish in Katabi House Fire
“So, I think now Ugandans should be told the real numbers,” Byamugisha said while addressing the media at the EC headquarters in Kampala. “Here are the signatures. The Electoral Commission requires us to gather 100 signatures from over 100 districts, making it a total of 10,000 signatures. I have fulfilled that requirement.”
However, the EC rejected the signatures, advising the aspirant to resubmit them two weeks before the official nomination dates. Officials explained that while early submission is encouraged, the law only permits formal consideration of signatures within the stipulated nomination timeframe.
Byamugisha clarified that he is running as an independent candidate, distancing himself from speculation linking him to key political figures and parties. “I know quite a number of Ugandans associate me with various organisations, but for purposes of this election, I am running independently,” he said.
The youthful politician, who has previously contested for the presidency, framed his early submission as proof of his readiness and commitment. “I picked the forms like any other candidate, and today I have returned them,” he noted.
Byamugisha’s move places him ahead of other presidential hopefuls, many of whom are still in the process of mobilising signatures and resources ahead of the 2026 general elections.