The Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) has sharply criticised the Electoral Commission (EC) over its latest changes to the 2025/26 general elections roadmap, accusing the body of bias towards the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) and undermining opposition preparations.
Latest
Presidential Aspirants to Begin Picking Nomination Forms on August 11 – EC
Australia to recognise Palestinian state in September
UPDF, Somali Forces Capture Strategic Bariire Town in Major Offensive
Ex-president can be buried in Zambia against family’s wishes, court rules
Gen Elwelu bows out of UPDF after 39 years of military service
FDC’s Deputy Publicity Secretary in charge of Documentation and Publication, said the adjustments announced by EC Chairperson Justice Simon Byabakama mark the third time the roadmap has been altered, disrupting party planning, finances, and mobilisation.
The revised programme moves district chairperson, lord mayor, and councillor nominations from the earlier September 3–12 slot to staggered dates ending September 5, while parliamentary nominations, including special interest groups, have been pushed from September 16–17 to October 15–16, 2025.
Lubega said such “sporadic adjustments” have forced the party to repeatedly rework its electoral timetable, incurring extra costs and causing confusion in its grassroots structures.
“Every time the Electoral Commission adjusts its programme, we also adjust,” Lubega noted. “This affects us financially, in mobilisation, and disrupts our prospective candidates’ preparations.”
He accused the EC of making decisions without meaningful consultation, saying political parties as key stakeholders were excluded from discussions on the changes.
“It is inordinate for the Electoral Commission to undertake this exercise without our input. The time left for electoral activities is now too short to ensure a fair process,” he said.
According to FDC, the shortened campaign period will unfairly advantage President Yoweri Museveni, whom they accuse of having already campaigned nationwide under the guise of monitoring the Parish Development Model (PDM) over the past three years. Lubega argued that opposition presidential candidates would now be forced to cover up to three districts in a single day to reach voters.
“The Electoral Commission has cheated Ugandans, especially those in the opposition. Mr. Museveni has traversed the country already; the rest of us are restricted,” Lubega said.
FDC further alleged that the EC’s actions are in line with NRM interests, compromising the body’s role as a neutral referee.
The party is now calling for the adoption of a constitutionally fixed electoral calendar, similar to that of the United States, where nomination and election dates are set in law and are not subject to administrative changes.
“This would enable better preparedness and prevent flimsy excuses for altering the roadmap midway,” Lubega insisted. “Parliament allocated funds to the EC in time, and they have known the electoral cycle for three years. Ugandans deserve better.”
Last week on Thursday, the Electoral Commission chairman Justice Simon Byamukama announced that the commission has designated Monday, August 11, 2025, as the official start date for aspirants to collect their nomination forms, supporter signature forms, and guidelines from the EC headquarters.
The Electoral Commission has defended its changes, saying they are meant to streamline the nomination process by separating categories of candidates and avoiding congestion.